Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Importance of Thrift Store Shopping

We're going to take a quick break from the usual stuff to discuss something that's been on my mind recently. It seems to me that all of these fads, crafting included, go in cycles. This is perfectly alright and natural, because there's nothing new under the sun. Sure, there may be a different interpretation of the original idea, but I'm sure Homo erectus pretty much got the entirety of the world down pat as far as story telling, clothing...not sciences, of course, since the world used to be flat.

I'm rambling.

The point is, there are so many resources available to our generation. We're becomming adults in a world that's losing its dependence on fossil fuels, we can travel into space as tourists, and everyday there seems to be some giant improvement to the world.

This is all wonderful, but does that mean that we should disregard anything that's a little aged? The thrift stores in my area are always filled with books on crafting, huge bolts of fabric, odds and ends for every hobby, and they're great resources. It's discouraging and very sad to hear people my age dismiss thrift stores because they sell 'old' or 'dated' merchandise.

So, stop by your local Salvation Army and see what you find.

List of things I've found in a thrift/second hand store:

- Pierre Cardin yellow leather jacket
- Black Valentino cocktail dress
- 3 costumes
- A bonsai pot
- My patio furniture
- More books than I can count, including ones by contemporary authors

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love buying my furniture at thrift stores. I bought a glass and brass coffee table for 11.95. Everyone thought I was crazy. I spray painted the brass black and it now looks like I bought it in Pottery Barn. I've purchase so many wonderful things. People always complement me on my house. I alway tell them it's all furnished from one thrift store or another. No one can believe it.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....