Monday, January 8, 2007

Interview with Cotton Candy Vomit

I recently held an interview with Amber K. Green of Cotton Candy Vomit. This was my first time holding an interview, and hopefully I didn't muck it up too badly! Check out her site for handmade and crocheted goodies.

MFT: A lot of your products seem to be nature-based. Do you look to nature
for inspiration?

CCV: Yes I do! I just love turning something you may see every day into something awesome.

MFT: When did you first begin to crochet?

CCV: I started crocheting when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I gave it up for a long time but picked it up again when I was 16.

MFT: What are your interests outside of crafting?

CCV: I love going out with my best friends and my hubby. Music, good movies, trying new things, playing with my dogs and my rat... Crafting is a big interest, though. Between crafting for my business and going to work, that takes up atleast half of my time!

MFT: Do you listen to music while you work?

CCV: Sometimes. Or have the TV going in the background. I need background noise or I can't concentrate as easily.

MFT: Has there been a project for Cotton Candy Vomit that stands out in your mind?

CCV: Recently I was offered a chance to have some of my pieces in a fashion show. So I made a couple scarves... I made one rainbow and one tree scarf. I worked really hard to make them fancier and nicer than the ones I usually sell. The tree scarf has little red hearts (like fruit) in the leaves, and a knotted texture on the trunk. And the rainbow scarf has super soft clouds with a scalloped texture on the stripes. They are so cute that I want to keep them! I have a lot of fun with special things like that. It's a nice break from doing the same old thing over and over. Especially because I get a lot of large orders for rainbow scarves. I get really tired of making 20 at a time! I just get sick of seeing those rainbows. LOL.

MFT: Do you make homemade presents at birthdays and holidays?

CCV: I used to. But now that I run my own business I don't really have as much time to. I still try to make a few here and there when I can't think of anything nice that I could go out and buy!

MFT: What's your favorite children's book?

CCV: Green eggs and ham!!

MFT: Do you have any advice for people who are interested in starting to
craft?

CCV: It's great! If you need to relieve stress, or just want something to do when you're bored, it's really awesome. It's so satisfying to complete something. In my opinion, crafts are art!

My advice for starting a business to sell your crafts, is to read into it before you even think about starting one. I picked up all my knowledge about running a business just by observing others, asking around, and just using common sense. I got lucky, though. Not everyone is successful at selling their crafts, and the first year or more when you're starting out takes a lot of time and money. Some businesses never make it that far. This sounds mean, but if you're serious about selling your crafts they need to be original and good quality or they probably won't sell. Also, it seems natural to price your handmade items really high, but you won't sell to that many people unless your prices are reasonable. I know you see some ebay sellers making hundreds on a cute shirt that they made (like Supayana, for example.) You have to take in consideration that she's been doing this for a long time, and her name is out there! So, what I'm trying to say, is if you want to start your own business, don't quit your day job until you know what you're getting into.

MFT: How much of a perfectionist are you? An extreme perfectionist? An extremely extreme perfectionist?

CCV: Extreme perfectionist. I wouldn't say I'm so extreme that I'm extremely extreme because I do try to sell some of my mess-ups (at lower prices, of course) because someone might buy it! But I have thrown things away, taken apart jewelry, unraveled scarves, and more, just to start over. I take pride in making quality items!!!

MFT: If you could describe your work in a single word, what would it be?

CCV: I couldn't describe it in one word if I tried!! But maybe two? "Time consuming."

No comments: