Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Clotide's Sewing Savvy - May 2007

Well, this is one of those magazine issues that make me wonder why I bother getting subscriptions in the first place. There are some useful tutorials, and the basics they cover in the projects are nice, but they're not exactly inspirational. So here's what I saw:

- Pillow Trimmings; a really nice explanation of how you get the cord embellishments on the edges of pillows, and how to do it cleanly.
- Scarves with Pockets; convenient, pretty, but I wonder how practical they could be. Still, you could cut the pattern in half and use them for door hangers or something. I imagine they'd fit in lockers.
- Gone A-Maying; a woven cloth basket with flower embellishments, not particularly interesting, but still useful, if you want to learn to sew flowers. Although, in all honesty, it looks like more trouble than its worth.
- Sewing Machine Maintenance; a really, really useful article about how to keep your machine in tip top shape. This is great for newbies and those who don't understand all the technical jargon. Did you know that older machines may lose their programming memory if a magnet is near them? I didn't, but then, I have a newer model (the Sew Precise by Janome).

All in all, I'm not impressed with this issue. It's not all that interesting, but it has some solid, basic articles and FAQs to help you out. A lot of sewing machine care and basics are covered in this issue - it may just make up for all the flowers.

No comments: